Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Learning Curve...

I have learned a lot of styling tips and tricks in the time that I have been reading the fashion pages, and I have incorporated several of them in this outfit.

1-12-10-collage

Gray Top: NY&Co
Teal Top: thrifted
Floral Dress (worn as skirt): Swapped
Tights: Spanx
Boots: Ros Hommerson
Belt: NY&Co (I think)
Earrings: made by me

Here are some of the things I have picked up from other bloggers that helped me pull this outfit together:

(1) Layering for warmth.
(2) Making non-seasonal clothing appropriate for the current season.
(3) Turning a dress into a skirt.
(4) TIGHTS!
(5) Thanks to Allie of at My Wardrobe Today for featuring these fabulous boots, "Maryland" from Ros Hommerson. I have a very hard time finding boots to fit over my calves. Combine that with my being extremely picky, and that totals up to two years that I searched for the right pair of boots. As soon as I saw Allie's post featuring these beauties, I knew I had to have them! Alas, they were sold out in my size, but the wonderful customer service staff took it upon themselves to email me and let me know that they would be back in stock in mid-December. So onto my Christmas list they went, and Santa brought them to me! YAY!
(6) Belting.
(7) Hidden layers (you can't see the extra socks I have under the boots or the cami I am wearing beneath the dress and two tops).

Is this the perfect outfit? No.
But it does get me thinking creatively about my clothes, and it inspires me to actually wear what's in my wardrobe.
I received many compliments, comments, and questions on this outfit yesterday, so I think I must be doing something right?

No comments:

Post a Comment