Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Me-OW...

Dressing myself has been rather tough in this hot and very humid mid-atlantic summer. It is already warm and muggy when I walk out the door at 6:30 am, and by the time I am coming home, I am absolutely melting.
In the middle, however, is my overly-air-conditioned office where I shiver the day away. I usually run a space-heater under my desk, but thanks to a recurring rash on my ankles, doctor's orders are to use it as sparingly as possible now.
As such, I'm forced to dress creatively, in layers that can be piled on in the office and removed for the commute home, without me fellow Metro riders becoming too concerned that they are traveling with *that* type of working girl.

6-29-10-collage

Cardi: NY&Co
Skirt: thrifted
Shoes: Merona, thrifted
Cami: Macy's?
Earrings: Claire's
Nail Polish: both from American Apparel

Closeup:
6-29-10-full

Cardigans and camis/tanks/tees have been my go-to so far this summer. Dresses and Skirts all the way. Sure, I have tossed on a pair of jeans for the occasional after-work or weekend activity, but leaving my arms and legs free to feel the wind has been the best plan of action so far.
The challenge I have faced is this: while I can pile on the layers (meanwhile injecting my personality into my outfits) in the office, when I shed the layers outside, I often feel like I am also peeling off the details that make my outfit interesting; that make it ME. Remove the heavy necklace, strip off the cinching belt, get rid of that sweat-inducing cardi. Now I'm just left bare with a plain dress, or a top and skirt.

How do you create interesting outfits with minimal layers and pieces that still feel unique and personalied?

3 comments:

  1. I use patterns or colors. I have to layer when I'm at work too (ugh) and it's always humid outside.
    You might want to look at some pieces that have traditional structure, but a very "you" color or print. For example- I adore full skirts (duh), so I have many ranging from plain black to striped yellow and green. I can throw on the yellow and green one with a tank and still look like me.

    It might depend how funky you want to get in your office, but you know how comfortable you'll be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have those shoes! Love them! Can't wear them to work since we're not allowed to wear open-toe shoes, but I love them!

    I say dress like you'd dress for summer...but throw on a cardigan over top.

    Also, is it possible to move the space heater to another part of your office so that it's not blowing directly ON you, but will still warm up your office? I keep mine running all day too but it's not blowing on me, it blows towards the center of the room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the heads up about the hidden dangers of space heaters! I will definitely keep that in mind. I love that you're rocking black and brown together today - I have not been brave enough to try that combo yet!

    ReplyDelete