Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I got a new dress...

I got a new dress! I got a new dress!

7-13-10collage

Dress: Kmart
Shoes: Vera Wang for Kohls
Cami: Old Navy
Earrings: Claires
Necklace: made by me

Closeup:
7-13-10-full

Let's jump in the WAY BACK machine for a moment and look at the stuff I was wearing a year ago. OK, i didn't have this blog back then, but trust me, a year ago, dresses and skirts were NOT my go-to look mid summer. Not loving the weight I am carrying these days, last summer I would wear skirts and dresses only on the absolute hottest days, instead preferring to cover myself as much as possible and suffer the consequences (aka sweat and stinkiness).
Seriously, y'all -- what was I thinking?!

This year, I have pulled my head out of my arse and invested as much as I can in skirts and dresses. They are FAR more comfortable, and frankly, much more flattering on my figure! Plus, it's a whole outfit in just a piece or two -- couldn't be easier.

I scored this little number for just a song at Kmart last week. Kmart is one of those stores I wouldn't have thought to look in for clothes, since in my mind they aren't even on-par with other similar retail chains. But I have seen several other of you ladies sporting really awesome pieces you found at Kmart, so when dear fiance and I were there the other day, I decided to pop my head into the clothing section, and I'm glad I did! This little ditty was just a mere $15, and I also snagged a top for only $10. (I'm sure the top will be making an appearance soon.)

This dress does have a self-tie that I would like to remove, but I need to take a closer look before hacking away. I am not skilled at all at sewing -- or even un-sewing, since that's what removing pieces would be! I'm hoping to take a class somewhere (maybe AFTER the wedding) so I can know how to do basic stuff like hemming things and maybe even creating basic little pieces like the ones I have seen other bloggers wear. My mind is creative, so I would love to know how to do this stuff!

8 comments:

  1. very very cute! i love it. you can score some awesome stuff at kmart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!! It looks so pretty on you.
    I wouldn't think to look at Kmart for clothes either- but this dress is wonderful!

    You can probably sign up for a class at Joann Fabrics (if there is one near you). They're usually at night/weekends, so they fit around work schedules :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a fantastic dress, and I love how you paired it with the purple heels and tank underneath. It really is very flattering on you!

    I need to go check out Kmart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree. SUPER hot weather drives me to shorts, for some reason, but generally I find dresses to be the ultimate in comfort during summer.

    Love the print on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous dress! ♥ it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the dress. If it has the belt that is supposed to tie in a big bow or leave a long dangling belt in the back, I will wrap it all the way around to the front again to tie it instead of removing it. It cinches the waist and stops looking like maternity wear, without risking ruining the garment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooh, pretty new dress! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous dress! So flattering and the color is perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete